Music has always been an avenue for relaxation for most people. Some have a favourite genre of music that they listen to. Some do not have any favourites per se, they just enjoy the composition, others prefer lyrics that speak to them; which is my personal preference.
I always encourage my clients to listen to music to help them deal with their cravings and keep a clear head. I also remind them to be mindful of the lyrics in the music, since any music full of drug fuelled language could become a trigger and in effect, cause exactly what we set out to prevent: cravings which could lead to a relapse.
I have come up with a list of songs that I think are inspirational enough to help deal with cravings, relax the mind and inspire hope for recovery.
Here they are!
1. Don’t Worry, Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin
2. What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong
3. Happy by Pharrell Williams
4. Can’t Stop the Feeling by Justine Timberlake
5. Try Everything by Sharika
6. Hall of Fame by The Script
7. Never Say Never by Justin Bieber and Jayden Smith
8. Firework by Katie Perry
9. When You Believe by Whitney Houston ft. Mariah Carey
10. You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban (Westlife Cover)
11. One Day at a Time by Cristy Lane
12. Jesus Take the Wheel by Carrie Underwood
13. Adom by Diana Hamilton
14. I can see clearly now by Johnny Nash
15. Amazing Grace by John Newton
Enjoy them and let me know if you found them useful.